Helping You
Find A Path Forward

What Are The Rules For Moving When You’re A Divorced Parent?

Getting divorced might inspire you to make other changes in your life, like moving to a new city or state. Maybe your job is taking you elsewhere, or you’re looking for a change of scene. But what if you have a child custody agreement with your ex-spouse? 

Attorney Tamara Grossman of Grossman Family Law Firm LLC is here to help Florida parents navigate the relocation process and ensure they get the necessary permissions.

The Guidelines For Relocation When You Have A Child Custody Agreement

Florida family law requires parents to get permission before relocating if their destination is more than 50 miles from their current address and they plan to be there for at least 60 days. 

You must get your co-parent to sign a written agreement that says you agree to the move. The contract should also detail how the move will alter your current child custody arrangements and any transportation arrangements that will be necessary to accommodate the new schedule. If you share custody or visitation rights with anyone else, like the child’s grandparents, you must also get their permission.

To formalize the arrangement, you’ll submit the agreement to the court. Your co-parent and other interested parties have ten days to request a hearing if they change their mind. If no one objects during that period, the court will approve it, making it an official court order. 

If your co-parent or another party objects to the move, you must file your request to move with the court. Then, it will be up to a judge to decide if the move is in the child’s best interests.

What About Extended Vacations Or Trips?

So long as your vacation or trip lasts less than 60 days, you don’t need to get anyone’s permission before going anywhere more than 50 miles away. However, say you plan to spend three months abroad in Europe over the summer. In that case, you must follow the process described above.

Talk To A Child Custody Lawyer Today

If you’re planning an extended trip or preparing to relocate entirely and your co-parent isn’t on board, attorney Grossman is here to help you petition the court and build a strong case. To get started, call CALL or reach out online to arrange a free initial consultation.